Our UK colleague, Simon Shepherd at Death Watch International, has developed a terrific website for all of is. It is unbranded, so that it will be easier for everyone working for abolition of the death penalty to use.
The site – www.deathpenaltyaction.net – has been in development for around a year or so. The idea for the site came from a discussion with colleagues at a World Coalition meeting back in 2008 about how we might use the internet to help us all to reach out to individual opponents of the death penalty around the world and let them know about our own organizations' work and any forthcoming events and other actions.
The site's main features are:
· It's available in 7 languages (English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and Indonesian) to make it accessible to as many people as possible;
· Organizations are listed on the site by their geographical focus (global, regional or country/state) and by language, to make it easier for people to find those most relevant to them;
· Organizations can add their details directly to the site (I've added most of you already, but if you're not there you can easily add yourselves);
· You can also publicize actions and events, which are also then added to the "deathpenaction" Twitter page - and if you have a RSS feed for these this can be set up to happen automatically;
· It's free – it also contains no advertising and is unbranded (which was something everyone I spoke to agreed was important if organizations were going to feel comfortable using it).